Pyro's Life: Festival </A>

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Festival

NP-Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
by Brand New

NP-Okay I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't
by Brand New

Today was actually a really good day. Woke up at like seven in the freaking morning for Jazz Band and stuff then we hopped on a bus and went to Festival. Our band played first then we walked around UVSC and listened to other bands and just kinda messed around. Mostly, I hung out with Arin, John, and Scott, but I kinda hung out with everyone today. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and taught me a bit, mostly improvising and rhythm stuff.

But ironically enough, it taught me a LOT about Bass and percussion.

Between watching Scott play and watching the professional musicians play, I picked up quite a bit of general bass theory and really simple drum stuff (I can play bass alright, but can’t play the drums ;) ) which helped me as a musician to understand what it takes from each instrument when forming or working with another band. Our Jazz II players really are amazing, Scott is an awesome bass player, both John and Arin are great percussionists, Blake is a great trumpet player and Tim gave me the shivers when I heard his Sax solo.

Glad we won this year :)

Anyways, good experience and all that jazz (Hah, I just made a pun).

Got home and Mariah was hanging out with Crystal cause it was her B day, and Trish was stuck at Walmart and sick again (Trish, I swear, is there ever a time you aren’t sick?) so we didn’t get to do anything tonight. So Kimball and I shot pool for a little bit then decided to go to his place and watch Wayne’s World.

By the time we finally got to Kimball’s house, there was only about 15 minutes left in the movie cause Zach, Kara, Skyler, and Kimball’s sister (I’m so sorry I cant remember your name, mentally retarded at the moment because I KNOW what it is) had already started it. Said hi to Kara, but didn’t really talk to her. Things definitely are a whole lot different between her and I, its kinda weird.

So, Kimball and I had a little mini jam session (at like 11 at night :p) and I tried to teach Kimball the bassline to Hotel California while I played it on Zach’s classical guitar. Then we just went out to the car and talked about stuff for a little bit, which was also really cool.

So yeah, anyways its like 12:45 and I’m tired yet I really wanna play guitar… doubt I will tonight though.

SoCo was exactly one week ago… I miss it lots. I told you it would be better then Yellowcard, Trish ;).

-Shane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home